Locust plagues were a familiar and awful blight in the world of the Bible. Joel uses this one as an image of invading armies and the day of the Lord. He was probably writing this well before the Babylonian exile.
1. Read Joel 1:4 . Do you remember the locust army In Revelation 9:3?
2. Read Joel 2:10, 31. Do you remember the black sun, falling stars and red moon of Revelation 6:12-13. Could there be a connection between a black sun and a locust plague?
By contrast, Zechariah was probably writing after the exile, when the Jews were rebuilding Jerusalem.
1. Read Zechariah 4:2-3. Are these images familiar from Revelation?
2. Read Zechariah 4:11-14. See Revelation 11:3-4
3. Read Zechariah 5:1. Yes. It's another scroll. What do you think scrolls might signify?
4. Read Zechariah 6:1-7. The horses aren’t the same, but the same sort of symbolism is at work. Why do you think he mentions horses?
5. Read Zechariah 12:10. This one’s familiar from the New Testament. It’s also mentioned in Revelation 1:7
6. Read Zechariah 14:6-9. Are these familiar end-time images now?